Friday, April 24, 2009

The Easter Guy

A ukulele! (that's how you spell it dammit!!)


So, on Easter day, me, my aunt, and my mom decided to go and visit the statue of liberty--cuz what else do you do on easter day? And it was thirty degrees out, but I'd promised myself that I'd wear nothing but dresses for new york--so I wore my little strawberry one. It's blue, does up in the back, and has... yeah, strawberries on it. (don't think of Desdemona's handkerchief). The only problem is, as I said before, it was thirty degrees out and we had to wait in this long line right next to the sea, with that wonderful sea breeze wipping us about at like a million miles an hour for like... twenty minutes before the next ferry came to take us over to the statue of liberty. The wind was so bad it kept on blowing my dress up so I had to hold it down, but I refused to zip up my jacket because it was springtime and I wanted to look springy and not emo like all the smarter New Yorkers around me. We were in a long, windy line, you know, one of those with the ropes that twist you round in circles until you come to the end. and next to this line there was this druggy guy, and he had this little lucalali (spelling?) with him and looked like he hadn't showered in about eighteen months and slept in the open bathrooms at central park. But, he was totally drugged so he didn't really know the difference, he just kinda kept on singing. My aunt said she'd seen him there the last time she'd come (about six months ago). he'd been in the same spot (apparently she likes visiting the statue of liberty even though she's from Canada). So... we were sitting there, me freezing my butt off while trying to hold my dress down (I don't know if I've been calling it a skirt or a dress this whole time, but it was a dress, I just get those two confused, sorry). So the guy stopped singing and was like, "look at that girl there in line--she makes it look like it's summer, I'm gonna sing about summer," and I was like, "who me?" cuz the barriers for the line were kinda thin so even though we were two rows into the line we were still close to the little wall at the beginning of it, where he was sitting. And he was like, "yeah!" and so, he sang about summer, with his little yucalali (notice the spelling keeps changing), and then he was like, "where are you from?" and I was like, "Georgia," in this horrible southern accent that made people turn around. You can picture it in your head right now... or, hear it. Yeah, it was that bad. and he was like, "allright! Now I'm gonna sing about comin from Georgia!" (and note, I was the only person in the line he picked on... why... why me?) so he sang about Georgia, "whether comin from Savannah or the Stone Mountain land..." it was a great little song for coming up with it on the spurr of the moment, and he seemed to know a lot about Georgia's geography, which was kinda creepy. Anyways, it actually kinda made my day, seeing as I was freezing my butt of and scared my dress would flow away, but at least I got two songs written for me out of it :) Yay! Thanks easter guy!!

2 comments:

  1. aww that story was so sweet!!
    grace, you're definitely going to be a writer when you grow up, drawing little cartoons to go along with your stories :)
    now i want to go to new york and see if this druggie is still there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. he will be...
    I want to get a picture with him!! That would be so exciting...

    ReplyDelete